Grilled Flank Steak & Red Chimichurri
All Things Barbeque
This recipe for Grilled Flank Steak with Red Chimichurri is a marvelous option for a summer barbecue or a weeknight meal. The steak is tenderized and put in marinade before being topped with a fresh, rustic Chimichurri sauce made with a sweet red bell pepper. It's a bright and flavorful sauce that perfectly complements the grilled steak. You've gotta give it a try!
- 2 pound flank steak
- Cattleman’s Grill Lone Star Brisket Rub
- 1/2 cup Saica Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp Bear & Burton’s The W Sauce (Worcestershire)
- 1 tbsp Cattleman’s Grill Lone Star Brisket Rub
- 1 clove garlic, grated on microplane
- Red chimichurri:
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 shallot
- 2 dried arbol chiles
- 1/2 cup Saica Sicilian Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 cup parsley, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp Cattleman’s Grill Lone Star Brisket Rub
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- Fill a chimney starter with lump charcoal. Place on the burn grate of the Yoder Smokers Adjustable Flattop Charcoal Grill. Light a fire starter underneath and let the coal get hot all the way to the top. Then, dump them in a single zone large enough to cover the area of a flank steak.
- Pound the flank steak with the textured side of a meat mallet until fairly even in thickness all the way across.
- Combine all marinade ingredients in a marinade shaker and shake to mix well. Pour half of the marinade in the center of an ATBBQ Prep Tub. Lay the steak on the marinade. Pour the rest of the marinade on top. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate.
- Grill the red bell pepper until blackened on all sides, then place in a container or bag to steam for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, toast the arbol chiles in small cast iron skillet over the edge of the hot charcoal. Only toast briefly to slightly soften the pepper on both sides. If the pepper looks charred at all discard it and start over. Remove the chiles from the skillet.
- Mince the shallot. Place in a small bowl. Add garlic and red wine. Let soak 10 minutes.
- Break up the toasted arbol chiles. Combine with the Saica Sicilian Extra Virgin Olive Oil in a pint sized mason jar. Blitz with an immersion blender until the chiles are fully broken down and infused into the oil.
- Remove the red bell from the steaming container and remove all of the blackened skin, as well as the seeds and stems. Mince the pepper.
- Combine the shallot & garlic mixture, fire roasted red pepper, parsley, Cattleman’s Grill Lone Star Brisket Rub, smoked paprika and arbol chile infused olive oil. Mix well to combine.
- Remove flank from marinade. Season with Cattleman’s Grill Lone Star Brisket Rub. Grill directly over the hot coals until it reaches an internal temperature of 130ºF, flipping as needed to brown both sides evenly. Remove the steak from the grill. Rest about 5 minutes.
- Slice the steak thin, across the grain of the muscle. Serve the Grilled Flank Steak with Red Chimichurri.