Yield: Makes 8-10 servings.
Total Time: 3 Hour30 Minutes
- 1 beef bottom round roast (3 to 4 pounds)
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 jar (16 ounces) prepared thick-and-chunky salsa
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed, drained
- 1-1/2 cups frozen corn, optional
- Heat oil in stockpot over medium heat until hot. Press cumin evenly onto all surfaces of beef roast. Place roast in stockpot; brown evenly. Pour off drippings.
- Season roast with salt and pepper; add salsa. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover tightly and simmer 2-1/2 to 3-1/4 hours or until roast is fork-tender.
- Remove roast; keep warm. Skim fat from cooking liquid. Stir in beans and corn, if desired; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, 8 to 10 minutes or until liquid is slightly thickened.
- Carve roast into thin slices. Serve with bean mixture.
Courtesy of The Beef Council
- 247 calories
- 7 g fat
- 2 g saturated fat
- 30 g protein
- 72 mg cholesterol
- 736 mg sodium
- 20 g carbohydrate
- 4.0 g fiber
Additional Nutrition Information
5.3 mg niacin; 0.4 mg vitamin B6; 1.5 mcg vitamin B12; 3.2 mg iron; 30.6 mcg selenium; 4.8 mg zinc. This recipe is an excellent source of protein, niacin, vitamin B6, vitamin B12, selenium and zinc; and a good source of fiber and iron.