Braised Beef Tacos
Serve these super tasty tacos to your family. Shredded round steak offers a change from the usual ground beef but is still full of flavor and nutrition.
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 pounds Creekstone Farms top round steak
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro, stems and leaves separated
- 2 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon chile powder
- 1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (14 1/2-ounce) can beef broth
- 8 corn tortillas
- sour cream, optional
- salsa, optional
In a large skillet over high heat, add the oil. Season the steak with salt and pepper. When the oil is hot, put the steaks into the pan and cook until browned on both sides, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Set steaks aside.
Place the onion and cilantro stems in the bottom of the crock pot . Put the steak on top and sprinkle with garlic and chile powder. Add the tomatoes with their juice, broth, and 2 cups water. Cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours, or until the steak is tender and shreds easily. Remove the meat and shred using 2 forks.
Wrap the tortillas in a damp towel and microwave on high for about 30 seconds, or until heated through. Put 1/4 cup of the meat onto each tortilla. Top with some salsa, cilantro leaves, and sour cream. Serves 4 to 6.