Short Rib Burrito
Short Rib Burrito
All Things BBQ
- 3 lb laterally cut Creekstone Farms Prime Beef Short Ribs
- Cattleman’s Grill Mexicano Seasoning
- 2 cups Chihuahua cheese
- 6 large flour tortillas
- Bean Sprouts
- Holmes Made Marty’s Roasted Green Chile Sauce
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 6 tbsp Noble Saltworks Maple Smoked Turbinado Sugar
- 1/4 cup mirin
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 cups Asian pear (or Bosc pear), diced
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp fresh ginger, minced
- Kimchi Fried Rice:
- Colonial Chile Oil
- 1/2 cup Chinese sausage, small dice
- 1 (8.5 oz) package par-cooked jasmine rice
- 1/2 cup Kimchi, small dice
- 1 egg, whisked
- Gochujang Crema:
- 1/2 cup Kewpie Mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp Gochujang fermented chile paste
- 1 tbsp Yellow Bird Blue Agave Sriracha
- 3/4 cup tomato, small dice
- 3/4 cup red onion, small dice
- 1/2 cup jalapeño, small dice
- 1/2 cup cucumbers, small dice
- 3 tbsp cilantro, minced
- Squeeze of lime juice
- Jacobsen Salt Co. Black Garlic Sea Salt, to taste
- To make the marinade, combine all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Place the short ribs in a marinating container. Add the marinade. Place in the refrigerator and let soak for at least four hours, or overnight.
- To make the Gochujang Mayo, simple whisk together all ingredients, then transfer to a squeeze bottle.
- To make the Cucumber Pico, combine all ingredients in a bowl. Toss to mix. Taste and season with salt and lime, as desired.
- Fill two charcoal chimneys in the charcoal grate of the Yoder Smokers Adjustable Flat Top Charcoal Grill. Light and let coals get hot. Spread about half of one chimney’s coals one one half of the grill and the rest of the two chimneys charcoal on the opposite half. Place a Yoder Smokers Griddle over the half with less charcoal to preheat. Place your standard grate on the other side of the grill for direct grilling.
- Remove the ribs from the marinade, wiping some of the excess marinade from the surface as you pull each slab out. Place on the grates, directly over the hot coals. When all ribs on the grill, season the topsides with Cattleman’s Grill Mexicano Seasoning.
- Grill on both sides until charred and tender. You may need to move the ribs around to cook evenly, depending on where you hot spots are. You can also raise or lower the coal bed to adjust, as needed. Most of your grilling was done with the charcoal close to the meat until well charred, then lowered to finish cooking until tender.
- While the short ribs cook you can begin to make the Kimchi Fried Rice. Place a few tablespoons of Chile Oil on the hot griddle. Add the sausage and par cooked rice. Cook until the sausage begins to crisp and the fat begins to render out, about 5-10 minutes depending on how hot your charcoal is. Next, add the kimchi. Cook, mixing and tossing the ingredients until the rice is lightly browned and crisped. When the fried rice look almost done, add a little more Chile Oil just outside of the rice mixture and pour out your egg. Cook until the egg begins to set, then toss and mix into the fried rice. Remove the Kimchi Fried Rice from the griddle, and hold warm in a bowl.
- Pull/slice the meat of the short ribs away from the rib bones. You may discard the bones. Chop the rib meat into small pieces.
- Back on the griddle, lay out individual portions/clumps of the Kalbi chopped short rib. Place enough down to fill your tortilla. Sprinkle Chihuahua cheese over the beef, and fried rice on top to reheat. Place your tortilla on top of the mixture, then squeeze a little water under the tortilla to begin to steam the cheese and tortilla. Do this for each individual burrito. When the beef on the bottom is crisped, the cheese is melted and forming a crispy cheese skirt use a spatula to scoop up the filling while flipping everything over and keeping it contained inside the burrito.
- Back at your work surface, make sure your meat/cheese/rice mixture is centered in your tortilla. Top with bean sprouts, a drizzle of Gochujang Crema, a spoonful of Cucumber Pico and your favorite salsa. Wrap the tortilla around the fillings, rolling the burrito. Enjoy!