All Things Barbeque
Chef Tom fires up the Yoder Smokers YS640s Pellet Grill for a low-carb, BIG-flavor recipe for Cheesesteak Pinwheels!
- 1 Creekstone Farms Prime Flank Steak, pounded thin
- 1 (16 oz) Smoke on Wheels BBQ Marinade
- Cattleman’s Grill Trail Dust All Purpose Seasoning
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 green bell pepper
- 2 yellow onions, sliced 1/4”
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- Jacobsen Salt Co. Kosher Sea Salt, to taste
- 6-8 slices provolone cheese
- Preheat your Yoder Smokers YS640s Pellet Grill to 450ºF, set up for direct grilling (entire diffuser plate removed).
- Spread some cooking oil on your work surface. Place the flank steak on the surface. Place a gallon zip-top bag on top of the flank steak. Pound out your Creekstone Farms Prime Flank Steak using the flat side of a meat mallet until it is about 1/4” thick and roughly the shape of a rectangle. Use the studded side of the meat mallet to carefully tenderize the steak.
- Pour half of your marinade in a sheet pan and spread evenly. Place the thin pounded steak on the marinade. Cover the steak with the remaining marinade and spread evenly. Transfer to the refrigerator to marinate for one hour.
- Place a Lodge Cast Iron Casserole Dish in the grill to preheat over direct flame for about 5 minutes. Meanwhile, slice the onions.
- Move the cast iron dish to the indirect side of the grill.
- Place your bell peppers on the main cooking grate, over direct flame.
- Place the onions in the cast iron dish along with a couple of tablespoons of oil and a generous pinch of Jacobsen Salt Co. Kosher Sea Salt. Toss with a wooden spoon.
- Roast the peppers over direct flame, turning to blacken the skin on all sides. Remove the peppers from the grill. Place in a zip-top bag to steam for about 10 minutes. Peel the blackened skin from the peppers and discard the skin, seeds and stems. Slice the remaining flesh into 1/4” strips.
- The onions are done when slightly browned and softened. Remove from the grill.
- Remove the flank steak from the marinade. Wipe most of the marinade off of the surface. Lay out flat. Season with Cattleman’s Grill Trail Dust.
- Place 6-8 slices of provolone on top of steak, covering most of the surface. Spread onions and peppers over the cheese.
- Roll up the entire flank steak as tightly as possible, forming a long roulade shape.
- Place skewers or toothpicks through the roulade every 2”-3”. Slice in between the skewers, producing pinwheel steaks.