East Meets West Burgers
- 1 pound ground beef (95% lean)
- 1/4 cup soft whole wheat bread crumbs
- 1 large egg white
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 whole wheat hamburger buns, split
- Sesame-Soy Mayonnaise:
- 1/4 cup light mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon thinly sliced green onion, green part only
- 1/2 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon dark sesame oil
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- Slaw Topping:
- 1/2 cup romaine lettuce, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup shredded red cabbage
- 1/4 cup shredded carrot
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Combine Sesame-Soy Mayonnaise ingredients in small bowl; refrigerate until ready to use.
- Combine Slaw Topping ingredients in small bowl, set aside.
- Combine ground beef, bread crumbs, egg white, salt and 1/8 teaspoon black pepper in large bowl, mixing lightly but thoroughly. Lightly shape into four 1/2-inch thick patties.
- Place patties on grid over medium ash-covered coals. Grill, uncovered, 11 to 13 minutes to medium (160º) doneness, until no longer pink in center and juices show no pink color, turning occasionally. About 2 minutes before burgers are done, place buns, cut sides down, on grid. Grill until lightly toasted.
- Spread equal amount of mayonnaise on bottom of each bun, top with burger. Evenly divide Slaw Topping over burgers. Close sandwiches.
- Cook’s Tip: To make soft bread crumbs, place torn bread in food processor or blender container. Cover; process, pulsing on and off, to form fine crumbs. One and one-half slices makes about 1 cup crumbs.